Review: More Than This by Patrick Ness

18811287
More Than This
by Patrick Ness
Publication Date:September 2013
Publisher: Walker Books
Format: Paperback
Rating: 5/5
Buy the Book: Amazon|Book Depository
Summary:
A boy named Seth drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments, losing his life as the pounding sea claims him. But then he wakes. He is naked, thirsty, starving. But alive. How is that possible? He remembers dying, his bones breaking, his skull dashed upon the rocks. So how is he here? And where is this place? It looks like the suburban English town where he lived as a child, before an unthinkable tragedy happened and his family moved to America. But the neighborhood around his old house is overgrown, covered in dust, and completely abandoned. What’s going on? And why is it that whenever he closes his eyes, he falls prey to vivid, agonizing memories that seem more real than the world around him? Seth begins a search for answers, hoping that he might not be alone, that this might not be the hell he fears it to be, that there might be more than just this. . . .

 photo My review 2_zpsblyfie06.png
More Than This by Patrick Ness is a book best appreciated in one epic sitting. It is a book that can only be fully understood by reading it in one go. This book is mindnumbingly brilliant!

More Than This follows a boy named Seth who drowns and wakes up in what seems like a giant world of a waiting room for heaven...or hell. Without divulging any spoilers Seth must try and make sense of events that led to his death and how he make all the wrongs right.

I went into reading More Than this with a total misunderstanding of what I was getting into. It had been hyped to me by fellow bloggers, co-workers and even publishers. So I had to move it up on the to-read pile and I'm so glad that I did. Patrick's writing is astounding beautiful. His world building, amazing and the character development is like none other I've ever come across. Reading More Than This has left me awed and slightly confused, thinking about things in different ways. Some aspects of the story I still grapple with, even though its been a couple of days since I put the book down. But this one of my favourite things about this book. It has stuck with me and will continue to be with me for quite some time.

More Than This sends you on a roller coaster ride of emotion and the characters somehow integrate themselves into your life and stay there. More Than This is a fantastic read and has left me wanting so much more than this (ha-ha...had to put that in there) from Patrick Ness!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS